Thursday, November 8, 2007

Suicide Statistics Denver Post Matt Hiler

I'll cut to the chase, these statistics about suicide really cut deep. Surveys at Abraham Lincoln High School show: Half of their eleventh graders have ridden with a drunk driver. 45% of the 88 freshmen surveyed said they had tried to kill themselves in the past year. Only 30% felt that they had good parental support. Over all 6.7% of teens have tried to kill themselves and 13.6% of teens have seriously considered suicide. So this tells me at least 1 person, maybe 2 in our classroom have tried killing themselves. I can say that I have been as nice as I can to everyone I can this past year. We all need to take this approach, everybody should feel loved. With only 30% of kids saying they had decent parental support, everybody needs a friend. I appreciate all of you, I appreciate Mrs. Comp, I even appreciate George Bush. (OK not really) Please none of you take this route, to lose a friend or even someone I know well, I've not had this happen to me, but, my guess is it would devastate everyone. I'm glad to have my eyes opened to this, and I hope I can help fix this and get rid of it... for good!

1 comment:

Bandido said...

Suicide baby!
Don't do it!

Hey sir, you need to watch the movie Heathers. It is a funny and satirical look on this subject.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0097493/